- Take out your jumper cables.
It's a good idea to buy a set of jumper cables and keep them in the trunk compartment. If you don't have jumper cables, you have to find a good Samaritan who not only is willing to assist you but who has jumper cables as well.
- Place both vehicles in Park or Neutral and shut off the ignition in both cars.
Engage both parking brakes as well.
- Attach one of the red clips to the positive terminal of your battery.
It has "POS" or "+" on it, or it's bigger than the negative terminal.
- Attach the other red clip to the positive terminal of the other car.
- Attach one of the black clips to the negative terminal on the otherbattery.
- Attach the last black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn't near the battery.